Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Meet the Monut!!!

I love a good sweets hybrid ... brookies, cronuts, dookies, cruffins, pakes, dangels. If they are both delicious on their own, the chances of them being double as good mashed together is pretty high.



Today I'm adding to the list with the Monut. It's a muffin crossed with a donut. I have tried countless times to make my own donuts. I want that deliciously fluffy inside a crispy outer shell, tossed in copious amounts of cinnamon sugar. I could eat 100 of them, especially when they are warm. But I have yet to be able to get that sort of results at home.

When making donuts it involves a dough, which then involves proofing and rolling and cutting and more proofing. And that's all before you get to the truly difficult part of cooking them in oil.

Even when I think that I have the perfect looking donuts, I dunk them into the oil only for them to come out tasting oily and undercooked.

Well that is what makes this recipe so amazing. They actually taste just like donuts and better yet they only take a few minutes to actually make!!! These don't last very long in my house, I'm talking I don't even thing they even have time to go cold sometimes.


So without further ado, here's the recipe...

200g Plain Flour
1 1/2tsp Baking Powder
1/2tsp Salt
1/2tsp Nutmeg
1/2tsp Cinnamon
150g Sugar
70g Coconut Oil (at room temperature)
1 Egg
250ml Milk

50g Butter
1/4cup Sugar
1/2tsp Cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 180 deg C and line a muffin tray with patty pans.

In a bowl combined the dry ingredients.

In another bowl add the egg, milk and oil (make sure it is pourable or you'll end up with lumps in your batter). With a whisk mix up the wet ingredients until they are all incorporated.

Add in the dry ingredients and whisk them until you have a smooth mixture.

Divide the batter equally between the 12 cases. I use a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop and it is almost perfect.

Bake for 20-25mins or until the tops are crispy and golden.

Combine the sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl.
*Tip* You can keep any leftover cinnamon sugar in an airtight container for later use (it tastes amazing on toast...)

Melt the butter in the microwave.

As soon as the muffins come out of the oven, coat the tops with the melted butter and sprinkle over the cinnamon sugar. I like to do this when they are still warm, as it slightly melts the sugar and gives them an extra crispy top.



And that is it! They are so quick and easy to make. I do hope that you will give them a try. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Let me know in the comments what your favourite pastry hybrid is....